At Strata Choice, we are committed to providing you with the highest level of customer service and ensuring the protection of your personal privacy. This statement explains how Strata Choice and its members collect, use and disclose your personal information
This Statement applies to:
- Strata Choice Pty Limited ATF Strata Choice Joint Venture Trust
- Strata Associates Pty Limited
- Linders Strata Management Pty Limited
- The Maintenance People Pty Limited
- The Strata Tax People Pty Limited
- Any other associated company of Strata Choice
Our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988
Strata Choice complies with the Privacy Act 1988 which regulates how we may collect, use, disclose and store personal information and how individuals may access and correct personal information held about them.
We collect personal information about individuals who have an interest in the property of organisations managed by us. These include strata corporations, community and neighbourhood associations, home unit companies and private dwellings. Our policy is that personal information must only be collected, disclosed and used by it for the purposes of managing the affairs of those organisations, according to the laws to which they and the Company are subject. In particular, any relevant legislation and any other associated Acts that require the collection of personal information about those individuals.
These purposes may include:
- The protection, maintenance and repair of the property
- The insurance of the organisation and the property
- The raising and distribution of moneys
- The election of representatives
- The enforcement of by-laws and other applicable laws
- Compliance with the requirements of statutory and judicial bodies
- The making of decisions about the organisation’s affairs
- The collection of rent and various outgoings from tenants
- The collection of information relating to the sale or lease of a property
We also collect personal information as part of our normal communication processes directly related to those purposes, including:
- When an individual emails staff members
- When an individual phones us we may store their phone number on our telephone system
- When an individual hands us their business card
Use and disclosure
We only use personal information for the purposes for which it was given to us, or for purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities, and we do not give it to other agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
For operational purposes, the Group Managing Director may approve the disclosure of personal information to individual staff within the Strata Choice Group.
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up to date and complete. These steps include maintaining and updating personal information when we are advised by individuals that their personal information has changed, and at other times as necessary.
We take steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure and against other misuse. These steps include password protection for electronic files, securing paper files in secure locations and physical access restrictions. When no longer required, personal information is destroyed in a secure manner or deleted.
Access and correction
Owners or tenants may gain access to their personal information according to the laws by which the information is collected and held.
Strata Choice may be contacted for these purposes by writing to:
Strata Choice Pty Limited
GPO Box 5328
Sydney NSW 2001