With vaccine double dose rates at more than 70%, the NSW Government announced the staged move away from stay at home restrictions from Monday 11 October 2021 to permitting those fully vaccinated to have a greater range of activities and services to access, generally including pools and gyms. It is prudent that Strata Schemes maintain its COVID-19 safe plan even after the restrictions ease fully for all people, whether vaccinated or not, after 1 December 2021.
In apartment buildings, masks will remain mandatory for all indoor common areas (gyms and pools excepted) until 1 December 2021 for people aged 12 and over, whether they are vaccinated or not.
After this date, masks will only need to be worn while travelling on public transport, on planes and at airports, and for front-of-house hospitality workers.
The Delta strain of COVID-19, behind the state’s lockdown, is passed to people twice as often as the strain previously considered most viral. There are several additional ways properties can support safe behaviours and help reduce the risk of COVID-19 impacting their residents.
Indoor areas pose the most significant risk for COVID-19 transmission, so it is critical that every person who enters the building, including residents, contractors, staff, delivery drivers, and riders, is encouraged to wear a mask and practise COVID safe behaviours in these shared areas.
- Displaying posters at building and car park entrances to remind people to wear a mask in common areas and practice social distancing
- Keeping Strata Roll contact details up to date with your Strata Manager
- Reminding building staff, contractors and delivery providers to stay at home if unwell, even with mild symptoms
- Having hand sanitiser available at key locations/common areas such as building entrances and outside lifts
- Cleaning frequently used indoor hard surfaces with detergent followed by disinfectant as often as possible
- Increasing natural ventilation where possible and increase mechanical ventilation where possible by optimising air conditioning or other system settings (such as by maximising the intake of outside air and reducing or avoiding recirculation of air)
- Assisting your neighbours who may be self-isolating with any needs to help keep them isolated safely, e.g., help with garbage removal, mail collection, and delivery drop-offs.
Strata Committee’s and your building managers may have other initiatives that apply to your circumstances. The most important thing its help keep your community safe.